The replacement draft of the sixth edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) was held via a virtual conference on Tuesday night, with all the six franchises picking star foreign players to set up their squads for the remainder of the season.
The majority of the players selected in the original draft were unavailable for the remainder of the tournament due to various scheduling conflicts. No English player was available for the rest of the tournament as they will be taking part in the T20 Blast, scheduled to begin from 9 June.
Star players such as Martin Guptill, Shakib Al-Hasan, and Andre Russell were the main attractions before the start of the replacement draft, with all six franchises looking to acquire their services for this season.
The two-time champions, Islamabad United, opted to fill their diamond category picks by re-acquiring the services of the Kiwi opener, Colin Munro, who was part of their squad last year. Munro replaced the English all-rounder, Lewis Gregory, in the squad.
Lahore Qalandars picked the Bangladesh all-rounder, Shakib Al-Hasan, as their platinum pick, replacing the Afghanistan leg-spinner, Rashid Khan. Karachi Kings opted for Martin Guptill and Quetta Gladiators picked Andre Russell.
Let’s have a look at the picks for each team.
- Usman Khawaja replaces Alex Hales in the platinum category
- Janneman Malan replaces Phil Salt in the gold category
- Colin Munro, Fawad Ahmed, and Ali Khan are available for the tournament
- Shakib Al-Hasan replaces Rashid Khan in the platinum category
- James Faulkner replaces David Wiese in the diamond category
- Joe Burns replaces Samit Patel in the gold category
- Callum Ferguson replaces Tom Abell in the silver category
- Seekuge Prassana replaces Joe Denly in the supplementary category
- Ben Dunk is available for the tournament
- Andre Russell replaces Tom Banton in the platinum category
- Cameron Delport, Qais Ahmed and Faf du Plessis are available for the tournament
- Martin Guptill replaces Colin Ingram in the platinum category
- Thisara Perera replaces Mohammad Nabi in the diamond category
- Najeebullah Zadran replaces Dan Christian in the diamond category
- Liton Das replaces Joe Clarke in the silver category
- Chadwick Walton and Noor Ahmed are available for the tournament
- Fabian Allen replaces Mujeeb-ur-Rehman in the diamond category
- Rovman Powell replaces Tom-Kohler Cadmore in the gold category
- Fidel Edwards replaces Saqib Mahmood in the silver category
- Sherfane Rutherford and David Miller (partially) are available for the tournament
- Mahmudullah Riyad replaces Chris Lynn in the platinum category
- Rahmanullah Gurbaz replaces James Vince in the gold category
- George Linde replaces Adam Lyth in the silver category
- Obed McCoy replaces Carlos Brathwaite in the supplementary category
- Rilee Rossouw and Imran Tahir (partially) are available for the tournament.
PSL 6 is scheduled to resume from 1 June, with the tournament being postponed after only 14 matches due to a COVID-19 outbreak within the bio-secure bubble. At least nine members of several franchises were tested positive for the virus which led to the postponement.